- since about 6 months, I was using ownCloud as a remplacement of dropbox, but I had unfortunately lots of problems and finally decided to drop wasting time on maintaining it.
This post is obsolete - things have improved greatly since that period!
- it is certainly a useful service, but there are certainly simpler
things to use to sync files accross computers and implement "your own
cloud". here, I give some reasons for my choice and hope they may be
useful for further developpment of owncloud or any other alternative
- first of all, you need an efficient file syncing. it is
dangerously buggy in owncloud:
- generates zillions of conflict files, takes ages to sync a folder with lots of files.
- the client happened to delete some files with no warning
- gives little feedback on how things are processed (the info dialog in client 1.2.5 is not functional). it took me a while to find a way to get some logfile (by calling the client with the --logfile argument) - but it is not documented elsewhere. the icons and error codes are not always informative.
- does not compile on snow leopard / 32-bit.
- the server is simple to install but is too shiny over-the-top
compared to its raw functionality.
- the upgrade process was rarely smooth due to "maintenance problems" related to the database (one day wasted for 5.0.4 > 5.0.5). this hints me that there may be security issues that are unresolved.
- the media server / photo gallery is merely useless
- I bought the apps for iOS and android, and they are a joke
- you need to synchronize all your files, no choice is possible - thus it is just not useful and I could never access any file off-line
- uploading photos is buggy, videos are ignored
- the ecosystem:
- based on a set of developers (some part of a company) and a set of users complaining about bugs that get closed is not reassuring
- the motto "you have a dropbox problem" is not pushing issues forward. certainly when comparing to the quality of the dropbox service
- first of all, you need an efficient file syncing. it is dangerously buggy in owncloud:
- everything I say here is with a QNAP server (and I am not a sysdamin), so it is certainly partly my fault.